The Parks Maintenance Division is supervised by Foreman Nelson Lopes, two Lead Parks Maintainers, and includes 15 full time and 5 seasonal employees.
Parks Maintenance is responsible for the care of all City playgrounds, parks and recreation fields, public building and school grounds. Overall there are more than 400 acres of lawn to mow and trim, sports fields to line, garbage cans to empty, on a weekly schedule. This includes City right of ways, grass islands, and historical cemeteries.
During winter storms, Parks Maintenance removes ice and snow from downtown sidewalks, crosswalks, and the train station. Together with Public Buildings, we remove ice and snow from lots and sidewalks at public schools and city-owned buildings.
- During 24 winter storms, cleared ice and snow from downtown Danbury, public schools, and public buildings
- Re-beautification of the Rogers Park Pond
- Prepares and manages the Main Street flowers and flag installation
- Prepared and maintained over 400 acres of City athletic fields, Parks, Public Buildings, Schools, medians and cemeteries
- Provided mulch and maintenance to all City Playgrounds
- Installed and graded new sand for the beach at Candlewood Town Park
- Constructed and installed new benches and floating dock at Candlewood Town Park
- Cleared trees and overgrowth vegetation at parks and schools
- Brush clearing and leaf pickup at schools and fence lines