The mission of the Danbury Police Department is to provide an environment that is free from the fear of crime, where people can enjoy a high quality of life, and the entire Danbury community can prosper. Danbury Police Headquarters is located at 375 Main Street in the city’s downtown. The Chief serves as the head of the agency with one Deputy Chief serving as second in command. The department has four main divisions. Three Captains head the Patrol, Investigations, and Professional Standards Divisions, respectively while a civilian manager heads the Administrative Services Division. The department’s authorized strength of 154 sworn officers is supplemented by civilian personnel assigned to various divisions. A private company operates the communications center, front window reception, and 311 information line at police headquarters.
Fiscal Year 2020-2021 Accomplishments
- Purchased and implemented new body and in-car camera systems for greater transparency
- Promoted two Lieutenants to the rank of Captain for the first time in nearly 20 years. Also promoted two Sergeants to the rank of Lieutenant.
- Hired 10 new officers to fill vacancies
- Partnered with several community agencies to continue community outreach in a virtual format and to assist residents during the ongoing pandemic
- Raised over $5,000 to support the Circle of Care’s ‘No Shave November” program. The proceeds are used to assist families of children with cancer
- Maintained Tier III Accreditation from the State’s Police Officer Standards and Training Council, the highest level of state accreditation
- Conducted several more highly successful distracted driving and seat belt enforcement campaigns utilizing state and federal grants.
- Held our second “Family Night” in a virtual format, focusing on financial health as part of our ongoing officer wellness initiatives
Objectives for Fiscal Year 2021-2022:
- Continue to implement provisions of the Police Accountability Bill. This year’s focus will be on the mental health assessments for sworn personnel and training on the new use of force standards
- Continue working with Human Resources to fill vacancies through both certified and entry-level hiring processes
- Evaluate overall department staffing, both sworn and civilian
- Launch new community outreach initiatives
- Continue with our officer health and wellness initiatives
For 2020, Danbury Police Officers responded to over 46,000 calls for service, approximately 5,000 fewer calls than in 2019. This is largely attributed to the Covid-19 pandemic. Our numbers also show that the city had another decline in the overall crime rate when compared to 2019.
Unfortunately, the pandemic caused us to cancel many in-person outreach initiatives such as our popular Citizens Police Academy and what would have been our 3rd annual “Party on the Patio” at police headquarters, a partnership with the numerous city agencies, the Board of Education, and several community-based organizations.
As we continue to navigate through this pandemic, once again we extend our thanks to our residents, community organizations and businesses for their patience, generous donations and other gestures of support during these very challenging times.
Important Phone Numbers & Weblinks
In case of Emergency, call 911
The Danbury PD app is available for download for free via the Google Play Store or iTunes App Store
The Danbury PD app and tip411 anonymous text a tip system are 100% anonymous, as the technology removes all identifying information before police see the tips and there is no way to identify the sender.
Residents in Danbury without a smartphone will be able to send an anonymous text tip via their cell phone to police by texting keyword DANBURYPD and their message/tip to 847411 (tip411). Anonymous web tips can also be submitted through an online form (Link: >> online web tip form <<).
*FOR EMERGENCIES DIAL 911*
|Accident Reports||203-797-4679 and
|Child Passenger Safety Team||203-743-6314|
|Citizen Police Academy||203-797-4577|
|Police Explorer Post||203-796-1572|
|Confidential Tips Line*||203-790-TIPS|
|*The Confidential Tips Line is not monitored 24/7.|