The department’s mission is to offer a variety of recreational programs to advance social equity and access to meet the needs of as many City of Danbury residents as possible from the young to seniors and those with disabilities. Develop scheduling that will maintain maximum facility utilization and to monitor all park assets. We want to facilitate physical activities and healthy lifestyles, create positive youth and family development and safeguard park visitors and recreational participants. We will continue to develop outreach efforts with a focus on our diverse population to attain more integration of our youth in public and private recreation programs.
The Danbury Recreation Department’s goals are to offer extensive recreational programming opportunities for residents young and the young at heart. Opportunities include participating in recreational activities or enjoying our leisure facilities. Our objectives to achieve this includes: employing park maintainers to work diligently every day to ensure every facility is manicured and has been carefully prepared to ensure optimum use of that playing surface, whether it is for a game or practice session. Additionally, we continue to invest our resources in rebuilding infield surfaces and making improvements with drainage at many of our facilities.
- Implementation of a new online software system which will allow for residents to register for Recreation Department summer programs, point of sale purchases at Candlewood Town Park, Hatters Park Banquet Hall and Pavilion reservations and for Community Garden plots.
- Rogers Park and Danbury High School Tennis Courts will be totally reconstructed using a state of the art process know as post tension concrete. This method will insure longevity of the playing sure, free of cracks and imperfections for years to come.
- Created a Facebook page, Danbury’s Recreation Department, to communicate department activities, summer programs, Summer Movie Nights, Hatter’s Park Hall and Pavilion rentals. We invite your input and opinions.
- Danbury Dog Park is open, located on Miry Brook Rd. across from the airport. The park has two fenced in areas, one for small and one for large dogs where they can run and play off leash. This is the only park in Danbury where pets are allowed to run off leash and a great opportunity for both residents and their dogs to socialize.
- Build Outdoor Basketball Court. We continue the search for the optimal location for a new court.
- Fencing Improvements at Selected Sites. Repair and replace fences where required.
- Rogers Park Lighting System on Softball Fields: Replace underground wiring, conduits and connections around complex.
- Continue to maintain participation in all programs and to provide training for our summer employees.
The Department of Recreation will continue to promote awareness of all services available through the use of the City of Danbury website, www.discoverdanbury.live, and Danbury Board of Education through the distribution of flyers, social media and any other forms of media available to improve communications.