The Friends of the Danbury Library hold an annual booksale on Columbus Day Weekend; donations are accepted year-round.
As an essential city asset, the Danbury Library is committed to being:
- A welcoming destination
- Responsive to the varied needs of our city’s diverse community
- A source of inspiration through words and ideas
A free Danbury library card is available and waiting for all Danbury residents, starting at birth. The card connects Danburians to a very special destination that provides everyone with an atmosphere of learning, inspiration, and discovery through books, online resources, recordings, DVDs, CDs, computers, and programming which is both educational and entertaining.
Specialized staff members within each of the library’s eight departments are dedicated to providing superior customer service to the over 400,000 people who visit the library each year.
Information Services: As the primary service desk at the library, this department assists over 1,500 visitors a day and answers over 65,000 questions a year. The department processes all new library cards and maintains existing cards, assists individuals with their accounts, renews materials, assists with self-check outs, and prepares holds requested by patrons. Over 850,000 items are checked in and out annually through this department. This department is ready to provide dependable answers and locate materials at the library or through the inter-library loan system. Questions are answered either in person, by phone, or by email at [email protected].
Junior Services: With a collection of over 50,000 items for our youngest readers to teens, this department encourages children to enjoy a lifetime of reading. Specialized displays greet visitors. Storytimes and a wide variety of programming await parents and children. Due to the importance of reading during summer vacation, the library has offered children and teens a summer reading program for over 25 years. There are 8 iPads provided with educational games for children ages 4-8. Children can also download e-books using a service provided by the Friends of the Danbury Library called eSebco Books which provides non-fiction, interactive e-books for children.
Technology Services: This department holds iPads, Kindles, Roku boxes, Wi-Fi hotspots, and Playaway Launch devices available for checkout to Danburians. The department staff maintains all public and employee computers, ensures the security of the network, offers two computer class series each year updates the library website and assists customers with computer questions.
Movies & Music: This department houses over 20,000 items including DVDs and Blu-Rays, books on CD, music CDs and pre-recorded books on iPod-like devices called Playaways. Downloadable and streaming music is available using the Freegal and Hoopla music services through which every library cardholder can download or stream movies, music, and more.
Language Center: Customers will find the Praxair Language Learning Lab where studying and learning English is made easier through the use of the ELLIS program. Print, audio, and video materials, as well as instructor-led courses available for patrons interested in learning a new language or practicing their English. The library also provides digital language learning so that patrons can learn over 50 new languages at home or in the library.
Technical Services: This department selects orders and prepares all of the items that are placed on the shelves. Items are also repaired here and staff members regularly evaluate items to determine what can be removed from the shelves to make room for newer items.
Community Relations: Develops public understanding and support of the library and its role in the community, promotes library programs and services, coordinates meeting room use and meeting room setup, ensures the consistency of signage throughout the library, coordinates, trains and supervises volunteers, plans and executes displays, and arranges and conducts library tours.
This year the Danbury Library added a recording studio for patrons of all ages, we also added more hotspots for lending and implemented self-pay at our checkout machines so patrons can pay with their debit/credit cards. The library also launched a new website for easier access on the go!
Annual Friends Booksale
Computer and Internet Information
The Danbury Public Library provides the following services for the public:
- Free public computers.
- Free internet access.
- Free wireless internet access.
- Free computer classes.
- Printing charges per page: Black - .15 | Color - .50
Wireless printing is also available.
The Library also offers public copiers in black and white, a public fax machine, and three meeting rooms. The Technology Center Conference Room accommodates 10-12 people, the Lower Level Meeting Room accommodates 20 people, and the Program Room accommodates up to 90 people. There is not a notary public available at the Library.
Continuous Library Programs
The Danbury Public Library offers numerous continuous programs available to the public; interested residents should call 203-797-4505 for information on dates and times.
Such programs include:
- Storytime for children.
- Book discussions for adults.
- Teen programs.
- ESL classes.
- Computer classes.
ESL services are available. The Library has staff that speak Spanish, Portuguese, Hindi, and Chinese and offer computer classes in Spanish as well as foreign language books, DVDs, videos, and periodicals. Visit danburylibrary.org/language-learning for additional language learning resources.
You may register at the library or online for a library card.
Danbury adult residents: free with 2 forms of I.D, one must be a photo.
Danbury children (under 14): free with ID & signatures of parent/guardian.
CT residents: free with hometown library card and confirmation of residence.
Out-of-state residents: $120 annual fee.
Our Accomplishments This Past Year
- Opened a video recording studio complete with cameras, editing software, and green screen to allow patrons of all ages to learn new skills and expand their creative horizons.
- Combined two library service desks in a central location to provide faster and more efficient service.
- Restructured our parking lot to improve accessibility and add additional spaces.
- Celebrated the grand opening of K’s Café in the library building.
- Renovated the lower level of the library to create a more welcoming environment.
- Offered a new series of citizenship classes and English language learning courses funded by grants awarded to the library.
- Implemented one-on-one technology training sessions, providing personal instruction for our patrons.
- Hosted a naturalization ceremony on the library main floor to welcome new United States citizens.
- Held library-wide events like the STEAM Fair, the Holiday Craft Fair, and Health Fair along with our usual story times, science experiments, magic shows, book clubs, author visits, history lectures, computer classes, craft projects, and more.
- Acquired a new language learning application called Pronunciator that allows cardholders to learn any of 80 languages with courses for all ages and levels.
- Established new partnerships with local organizations to enhance community engagement and tap into the city’s many resources.
- Conducted focus groups with Danbury residents, board members, and local community stakeholders to inform and create the Library’s new 5-year plan.