Housing Program

Housing Program

General Information

The City of Danbury is obligated to ensure our community remains healthy with housing units that are safe, well maintained, and meet requirements of the Housing Maintenance and Occupancy Code. We accomplish this through the Health & Human Services Department’s Housing Program.   The Housing Program accommodates property owners with inspections on their rental units and a Certificate of Apartment Occupancy is issued when the rental unit successfully passes the inspection.   A Certificate of Apartment Occupancy is required when the occupancy or ownership of a 3-family or larger home changes. Certificate of Apartment Occupancy are valid between tenancies or 1 year from issuance.   Help For Tenants (or Renters) A tenant may at any time request an inspection of their rental property to ensure their home is safe and living environment is healthy.  Tenants are highly encouraged to first contact their landlord about building concerns that may require needed repair or maintenance.  However, if the landlord fails to respond or remediate the issue, a tenant can request an inspection of the interior of their apartment and common areas of the exterior.  A full inspection report containing any known housing violation and concerning issues is then mailed to the property owner. Property owners are provided a set amount of time to remediate housing issues and violations.  If corrections are not made, the property owner is subject to legal action through the Housing Maintenance and Occupancy Code and the City of Danbury.  The tenant’s contact information is recorded in a database case record.  This information is needed in order to schedule an appointment for the inspection and to record who gave permission to inspect.  The tenant must be present when the inspection is conducted.  The tenant should also cooperate by allowing the landlord access to appropriate areas of the property in order to perform needed repairs. Requirements for Rental Property Owners In addition to requirements for federal, state and local licensing, taxes, etc., owners of residential rental property in Danbury must maintain the property as required by the Danbury Maintenance and Occupancy Code. In addition to performing inspections at the request of a resident tenant, the department may inspect rental units through the following two rental housing inspection programs authorized under the code:

Frequently Asked Questions

Housing Program: F.A.Q. To contact the U.N.I.T Housing Coordinator please call Veasna Roeun at (203) 797-4625 ext 7369 or email [email protected]

Dial 311 from a landline or 203-744-4311 from your cell phone.

Dial 311 from a landline or 203-744-4311 from your cell phone. If it’s after-hours call Danbury Police Department and report your complaint to the dispatcher.

A Certificate of Apartment Occupancy is used to insure compliance with the requirements of the municipal code before moving a tenant in.

Owners or Agent.

Only during the months of June 1- October 31.

Any deterioration of the property that could be enforced under City Municipal Code (Interior and Exterior as well as public nuisance.)

The owner, agent or occupant.

150 Sq Ft. of floor space for occupancy and 1000 Sq. Ft. of floor space for each additional occupant.


Yes. Please contact the Health Department 203-797-4625.

A rooming house consists of 3 or more unrelated people.

The amount of time for code compliance varies based on the type of violation. Generally, 14-30 days for non-emergency violations. Twenty-Four hours for all emergency violations.

Yes, appeals should be addressed to the Director of Health.

The owner or agent.

It depends on the severity of the problem, but generally, extermination should be done every month.

Yes, if violations remain uncorrected, criminal penalties including substantial fines can be imposed.

The Director of Health.

Depending on the nature of the emergency, notice to correct would be sent within 24 hours.

No cellar space shall be used as a habitable room or dwelling unit.