The Office of Business Advocacy will oversee all economic development efforts throughout the city and will act as a bridge between city government and small to medium sized businesses as well as Danbury’s existing large corporate base.
The focus of the office will be to retain and increase the number of jobs available in the City, by providing customer service and information services to those who have or are seeking to establish or expand a business in Danbury. The Office continues to deliver services designed to stimulate business and community development including: Workforce Development, Transportation, and Infrastructure Improvements.
Fiscal Year 2017-2018 Accomplishments
- Worked to secure several new and existing businesses in Danbury, including Praxair Technologies, FuelCell Energy, Toll Brothers, Inc., BRT Companies, and Naugatuck Valley Community College.
- Member of the leadership team to create and implement a Transit Oriented Development (TOD) study for Danbury’s core, which will revitalize the downtown economy while improving coordination and access of public transportation.
- Working with the State of CT “Come Home to Downtown” program to implement an exciting initiative to empower property owners in our downtown community with the tools to revitalize their historic properties.
- Developing Danbury’s Transit Focus Initiative which goal is to coordinate, expand and improve the entire city’s mass transit infrastructure. This initiative includes Metro North Rail, Housatonic Rail, Housatonic Area Regional Transit bus, multiple long-distance/commuter bus lines, cab/limo, and our Danbury Municipal Airport
Major Objectives 2018-2019
- Maintain focus on retaining and attracting industry-leading businesses to the City, including companies such as Praxair, FuelCell Energy, Cartus and Belimo Air Controls.
- Continue work on the development of downtown initiatives: Danbury Downtown Core Development, Transit Focus Initiative, Main Street Partnership, Danbury Innovation Center, and CityCenter Danbury.
- Putnam County Partnership – Develop strategies with Putnam County to identify regional opportunities to promote the sharing of resources. This includes services and facilities, economic development, recreational amenities, and infrastructure improvements.
- Danbury-Waterbury Corridor – Working with Waterbury officials and our I84 corridor leadership to develop an economic development zone to maximize regional public resources and encourage business and job growth.