The Parks Maintenance Division is supervised by Foreman Nelson Lopes, two Lead Parks Maintainers, and includes 15 full time and 6 seasonal employees.
Parks Maintenance is responsible for the care of all City playgrounds, parks and recreation fields, public building and school grounds. Overall there are more than 400 acres of lawn to mow and trim, sports fields to line, garbage cans to empty, on a weekly schedule. This includes City right of ways, grass islands, and historical cemeteries.
During winter storms, Parks Maintenance removes ice and snow from downtown sidewalks, crosswalks, and the train station. Together with Public Buildings, we remove ice and snow from lots and sidewalks at public schools and city-owned buildings.
- During 16 winter storms, cleared ice and snow from downtown Danbury, public schools, and public buildings.
- Prepared and maintained over 400 acres of City athletic fields, Parks, Public Buildings, Schools, medians and cemetery’s.
- Provided mulch and maintenance to all City Playgrounds.
- Re-caulked the Rogers Park and Highland Avenue Spray Scapes.
- Installed and graded new sand for the beach at Candlewood Town Park.
- Constructed and installed new benches and floating dock at Candlewood Town Park.
- Furnished and installed new benches on concrete pads at Kenosia Park.
- Cleared trees and overgrowth vegetation at Kenosia, Hatters Park fence line and the pond levy behind the PAL building.
- Brush clearing and leaf pickup at schools and fence lines.