Danbury is a great place to live, work and play. The City of Danbury maintains a very strong financial condition. Danbury as the 7th largest city in Connecticut is in the unique position of managing a surplus and maintaining a high level of services. Our 2011-2012
mill rate is 22.45
. We have retained our AA rating from Moody's Investors Services and Standard and Poor's rating companies as a sign of that strength.
And, we are planning and making necessary improvements to insure proper economic growth and stability so Danbury can serve as the hub of the entire Western Connecticut region. Capital projects for road improvements, comprehensive revitalization efforts of our CityCenter and inner city neighborhoods, and our continued crusade against drugs are among the many programs being implemented.
We share great pride in our City. We respect the rights and honor the accomplishments of our neighbors -- individuals and families -- from the youngest to the most senior citizens.
Governor Morgan Bulkeley, on April 19, 1889, signed the document making the City of Danbury official, plans were almost immediately initiated to draft a city seal. Alderman James Walsh made the suggestion in May of that year and Henry Hoyt, a member of the committee, came up with the design.
A locomotive, depicting the railroad line established in 1852 is shown on the left side of the shield within the outer ring. On the right side is a stand of elm trees, in reference to Elmwood Park, and below the trees is water, symbolizing the flood caused by the breaking of the Kohanza Reservoir dam in 1869. A derby hat, symbolizing the City's hat manufacturing industry, is in the upper right hand corner of the shield. In the lower left is the Wooster Monument.
There are two references on the seal to the British burning of Danbury in 1777. The central motto, on a diagonal band which divides the seal, is "Restituimus" or "We have Restored". Underscoring this point, atop the shield, is a phoenix rising from a fiery crown. The bird has in its beak a second motto, "Perege Modo", translated from the Latin as "Ever Onward" or Let Us Go Forward".
The outer circle has the words "Seal of the City of Danbury, incorporated 1889".